Sunday 13 December 2009

Mince Pie Heaven


In the shop we are selling hundreds of mince pies per day. People just don't bake anymore and they are so delicious I can understand why, it's not really a faff it's just people don't even own bun trays anymore. If you're a baker you'd be one of few amongst your friends, but very popular!
A sales rep tried to convince me to try their mince pies to sell this year, we've been selling them for 6 weeks now. Why don't these companies plan ahead? Also, they're made with puff pastry she proudly announced. Hello!! Wake up and smell the coffee. People do not want puff pastry, people want tradition. They don't want something different, they want to be taken back to the past with lovely memories of mince pie baking with mum.
My Dad posts me some in a tin which I have to take back at Christmas for the following years' mince pie delivery. What a good Dad I have.
Warm with brandy butter or just cold as they come.....Christmas heaven!
The Americans haven't a clue what they are, the amount of times in my life I've had the "so it's meat in pastry with sweet icing sugar....I don't get it" conversation. It's a peculiar concept to them calling it a mince pie I do understand.....but they do have pumpkin pie (sicky sweet) and maple syrup and bacon together so maybe not so strange, beef mince and icing sugar....now there's a new sales pitch.

2 comments:

  1. My dad also makes lovely mince pies each year with a superb light but sturdy pastry. As a twist this year I may just try my hand at this recipe: Mince Pie Star Slices

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I miss a good mince pie. Becca bought me some a few yrs ago and can you believe that they were really quite good, gluten free n'all!!

    To defend Americans (i guess my 6 yrs here have made me want to do that), (Jeffs)pumpkin pie is devine and bacon and mayple syrup go together like crumpets and butter. I would never put maple sryup on Danish bacon, but on streaky - yum yum. And of course they really shouldn't assume its meat, as they call it ground beef not minced beef, so i don't really get their confusion either.

    ReplyDelete