Thursday 8 July 2010

Rose or Alcopop

I am sitting in the garden drinking rose. What is it about the sun that makes you fancy a glass of rose in the garden? At last it really does seem we’re having a summer. Though I won’t believe the BBQ headlines of last year, because that’s all they were ‘headlines’.

Back to my rose which is going down a treat. I like it dry, like the traditional roses of France. Not the new zinfandel or shiraz sweet types the new world has introduced. Once I had to endure drinking Blossom Hill, I think I can blame a beautiful blond cousin for that, it was like drinking fizzy pop (no fizz of course) or sucking a child’s ice lolly. I don’t really relate to a wine-drinking adult drinking these sweet, cloying pop-roses at all but I do understand the appeal to teenagers, with it’s similarity to alco-pops. This is why people take years to drink and appreciate decent wine. If they learnt faster the high street would have to comply and provide a more interesting range. With my approaching return to uni in September maybe I should think about educating these young drinkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment