Wednesday 20 January 2010

Chocolate Shopping



 We've just been to select chocolate for Easter. What a terrible day - Not!
A certain grocer to the Royals once advertised for a chocolate buyer by posting an ad in The Times saying "the best job in the world".
You can imagine the people who thought they could do this job! I had teacher, lawyer, and waitress friends sending in their CV's. It went to someone who did have some knowledge in chocolate but I think many other people would have had enjoyed the (heavenly) job a lot more. I have always had an interest in food production and chocolate comes high up the scale. I am becoming more and more discerning and would rather go without than eat just anything. When P puts his chosen bar under my nose I often refuse, and if I don't refuse I quite often regret (think of the wasted calories!!) I have a fair few friends who have enjoyed my previous (and this) job roles for the simple reason that I provide them with lots of goodies....chocolate, cheese, artisan bread, cake....the list goes on. But chocolate is always a favourite and is where you can really tell the difference. Coffee is quite hard, unless the beans are burnt.....or in fact they're not beans but that other strange drink - instant coffee.
Chocolate is so mass market and familiar to us that people don’t bother to look at cocoa content and fat. Next time you go to a decent chocolate shop or deli buy a small bar with high cocoa content (60%ish for plain and 35%ish for milk) from a good maker Audrey's of Hove, La Masion du Chocolat, Fortnum's, Charbonnel et Walker or Valrhona....the difference is less calories and more taste.

2 comments:

  1. Where does a Fry's Chocolate Cream come on your scale? Ooh, and a Cream Egg?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm....you're showing your age with the Fry's aren't you!!

    ReplyDelete