Thursday 7 January 2010

Motorway Food Tourture - The NEW and Improved Food Stop

We had a whole day free on Christmas Eve to get from the South Coast to the Yorkshire Coast. So after loading the car with suitcases, pressies and cheese board for Boxing Day. And a breakfast of porridge with honey we set out on our way. The roads were not too bad at all. I was very pleased about this as had booked into a gastropub for lunch at 1.30pm.
After some research I found The Cock in Hemingford Grey, near Huntingdon which is just off the A1. Perfect. And it was. P was going to have steak until the waitress told him the specials, beef stroganoff, his favourite. I had the venison which was so tender I didn't need to chew. It was more than worth the 15min detour off the motorway. The snow was much worse there and the traffic was a little slow when we rejoined but we were so content that the next 3.5hours drifted by with only a brief loo break and no need for entering the dreaded food (ahem!!) service station. I'm usually happy to drive an hour to get to good food anyway, so this made our journey food mile heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Yummie, I'm a fan of the stroganoff myself. And what a great plan too.

    ReplyDelete