Monday 19 October 2009

The Great Wine Debate

Involved in yet another wine debate at the weekend. I was torn though. I don't really believe old world is better than new world or that any particular grape variety is the best.
I think every wine has it's place, well nearly every, surely no one was really meant to enjoy Black Tower. Blue Nun on the other hand did have a purpose, but that time is now gone, and so should the wine be.
But this debate was old against new. I live with a new world fanatic, I also have one as a Dad. I don't control the wine cellar in my house, I am too busy in the kitchen. I am always asked though, 'what would you like?', 'I'd like you to decide' is my usual reply. This way I don't need to go into the whole Cab goes better with lamb and Shiraz with beef, and this rose will be perfect for Thai, when are you next doing Thai? Or what about the sparkling shiraz, shall we have that with turkey on Christmas day? Or the semillon, when did you say you'd do that scallop dish.

I usually have to find the recipe to match P's chosen wine (not the 'normal' other way round). He does have an excellent cellar (and palate for that matter) so I won't complain, I suppose it makes an excellent cooking challenge for me, something I can't help but enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment