Monday 12 October 2009

Worthing 13th Beer Festival

Being a regular to the Great British Beer Festival held in Earls Court each August, P and I went to a local one in Worthing, on the smaller side of course, but still run by the dedicated men (sadly very few women) of CAMRA. So Friday night, in the rain, we headed out with empty bellies, full purses and high spirits (and me with pen and pad for notes!)
Oh, what joy, on arrival we received our pint glass for free (no £3 fee like in London), then passed a tombola; do you remember them from school fates? P had never seen one and laughed at the funny word, say it again, “tombola” I said, then though, yes what a strange word. It is an Italian word, meaning that spinning ‘tombola’ thing the raffle tickets sit in. Quite glamorous really, why we don’t just use a bucket and call it a raffle, I don’t know.
I won, I never win, but I won! A bottle of beer from 1977; it’s to celebrate The Silver Jubilee of our Queenie, 25th anniversary of her accession to the throne. Drinkable? Doesn’t even have the alcohol content P noted, didn’t we just get away with murder before all these silly laws.

Back to beer. The joy of joys – Yorkshire happened to be the ‘guest feature’ of the event. We started off on the pale, wheaty, lighter styles, Wheat and See for me, Canary for P, Festival Ale for me, Pin-Tailed Duck for P. Then to the dark beers; The Dark Side of the Moon and Brimstone. And finally the stouts Gorlovka Imperial Stout and Stallion. They only serve halves or pints. We usually have thirds at the GBBF so felt quite woozy and very happy that home wasn’t far to go (via the best curry in town of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment