Friday 16 October 2009

Not Drinking Coffee


I've been opting for tea rather than coffee for a few months now. I was deluded into thinking I'd loose a few centimeters round my waist (so could fit into new Boden skirt) from cutting out half a pint of semi-skimmed milk 4/5 times a week. It doesn't work so don't bother if you enjoy your coffee.

Coffee is a sad drink in the UK, we just don't really get it right. Having spent a year and a half enjoying the amazing coffee in Australia I now know why they snort at our sad efforts. Toby's, one of the most famous and well regarded coffee shops is where I spent my hard earned dollars. Smooth, rich, dark (and that was just the barista), this is where I learned how to make coffee and how to appreciate it.

When I pop up to Borough market (my old home) I always go to Monmouth Coffee, yes that queue is worth every drop. They don't burn the milk, they don't scald your mouth and it's not too cold, they don't make it too milky, they know what a flat white is, they are simply professional. It takes me back to morning coffee before a days work at the Wine Society, in a slightly edgy part of town, Wooloomooloo. Like drinking velvet, with the sun on your face......Mmm the memories.

2 comments:

  1. I believe folks that drink half a pint of semi-skim everyday are supposed to be healther and able to loose weight more easily. I know i have read that somewhere and its was probably Shape magazine, so i'm betting it has some truths. Its somethign to do with how you absorb your food, you need calcium. Tho im sure you get it with all the cheese you eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't beat a pit stop at the Monmouth. I even got a seat there. Once. It was eight in the pigging monrning on a Sunday and still packed out!

    ReplyDelete