Thursday 29 October 2009

Motorway Food Torture

A solid 5 hours drive to Cambridge, which should only really be 2 and a half if you go by the AA route planner. I did expect 3 and a bit (what with the M25 carpark to join) but 5, wow!
But worth every hour to see a beautiful friend and her more beautiful daughter! And upon arrival a walk directly to food...and a bit of wine.
Today's drive was supposed to be 4 and a half hours so I didn't mind that it actually was. However, I unfortunately had to have my lunch on the way. And being unprepared, as not having left from home I had to join the sales execs, the lorry drivers, the bewildered tourists and the families on the way to visit granny at the dreaded motorway service station.
I had a choice of Burger King (a no, no), Costa coffee (overpriced dodgy toasties) and WHSmiths (a chocolate and crisps overdose?). They're sad, miserable places, all I wanted to do was get back in the car. But I was starving so had to eat a cheese toastie from costa with a fizzy water and a blank look so I'd fit in with everyone else.
I have stopped at a service station with an M&S once, I was so delighted you'd have thought I'd pulled into Fortnum & Mason drive through.
I think this country could try a little harder to make those long journeys (usually because of road works) less agonising by giving us a good reason to stop, and not just because your knee has ceased up, tummy making noises that travel sweets can't fix or bladder calling. Mind you, don't get me started on what food nightmares the Australian servos (as they'd call them) are. Anyone who's been on the Stuart Highway from Darwin to Alice will tell all.

1 comment:

  1. People need to vote with their feet, but they have a tendency to put up with whatever's on offer.

    Having said that, the Little Chef on the way to Frome had a makeover from Heston Blumenthal. Just depends on where you go I suppose ;)

    ReplyDelete